The moon has a profound effect on us. It represents the emotional, feminine, creative and nurturing aspects of our lives. One cycle of the moon takes 28 days, in cycles of waxing and waning, bringing in and releasing, ebb and flowing. The cycle of the moon has different energetic influences at each of the stages. The full moon is a time of positive opportunity as it can pour down tremendous energy. If we are in the calm state of mind to receive it then it can increase your positive energy & be a profound source of wisdom. In India the Full Moon is referred to as the ‘Guru Purnima’, the Guru or teaching Moon! The full moon is a great time for meditative practices as well more physical yoga. A time for shifting our yoga practice towards grounding, stability and a balance of heating practices & more cooling lunar practices including restorative, soothing & recuperative sequences, breathwork & meditation.
The Cycles of the Moon:
- New Moon: energy of new possibilities. Time for setting intentions for what you want to bring into your life.
- Waxing Moon: New growth & continued action
- Full Moon: is a time to release that, which no longer serves you, what you no longer need in your life. Now the energy is powerful and intense, a time to take action.
- Waning Moon: Withdrawing, a quieter time
- Dark Moon: A time to go within. Solitude.
The New Moon marks the beginning of the cycle and the Full Moon is the release.
The full moon is a time of positive opportunity if you use it correctly. It’s a wonderful opportunity to pause & reflect. To be aware of the energy around you & be grateful for your life. It can increase your positive energy, or it can wreak havoc on your emotions.
Remember that whatever is going on in your body, mind and spirit will be more intense. The energy is powerful so it’s important to direct it with positive intention.
Sticking with the moon cycles is the best way to go when incorporating moon energy into manifesting. Use the waxing (growing) period to attract new things (experiences, objects, people) into your life. This is a time to sow seeds and plant crops. Use the waning period to physically, emotionally, or energetically clear and discard anything unwanted from your life. This could include cutting your hair or fingernails!! Remember all your energy is intensified…. good and bad!
- You may sit by water & observe the reflection of the full Moon on the water’s surface, as it moves. Be quiet inside & notice if you feel any intuitive answers to anything happening for you right now. If you need to make a decision that can’t be worked out from a rational perspective, go into the quiet calm space within & allow yourself to be guided to what you need to do, go, or who you need to contact.
- Refrain from arguing and getting angry. The full moon is the time to stay calm, let things go, breathe deeply through difficult moments and forgive others for their mistakes. Try to postpone any upset until at least two days after the full moon. Whatever happens at this time is multiplied. It’s like having emotional fertilizer. Keep the energy moving in a happy, uplifting direction in your life.
- Think positive thoughts. We all know we should think positively as much as possible but during the full moon its more important. Your positive thoughts will be energized and multiplied. Even if you spend just five minutes when you wake up and go to sleep thinking about the positive things in your life. Maybe think or write a gratitude list or a thank you note to the Universe for all you have. You could look in the mirror and say nice things to yourself. You could take a walk and notice all the beauty in nature & the world.
- Meditate by yourself or in a group. Since the full moon pours down so much energy, meditating during this time creates calm, mindfulness and stillness. You can do it by yourself in a sacred space in your home. You can also connect with other like-minded friends to meditate in a group. There are many spiritual centers, yoga studios and online groups that come together for a full moon meditation. It’s very powerful to meditate in a group.
- Send blessings to people in need. Since you have the full moon power behind you, send healing energy, forgiveness, &/or loving-kindness to friends, family, colleagues, and strangers. In addition, send peaceful energy to the places in the world experiencing strife, hardship, poverty and war.
The full moon is a great time to be of service and do acts of kindness.
Here are a few of my favourite full moon ceremonies
Meditate; A guided or simple personal meditation feels great at full moon, a time of intuition and awakening
Fire Ceremony; Create a sacred space and arrange a time to perform the ceremony. My preference is at nighttime and outdoors so you stand under the moonlight. Maybe using a barbeque bucket or similar to safely burn your paper.Write down on separate slips of paper all the things you want to release or change. Light candles. Look to the skies. Breathe in the night.Read the writing on your paper one at a time. Set your intention to release the person/item/addiction/attitude from your life. Throw it in the fire. If you are doing this ritual with a group of others take turns reading your words. If these things are too personal to read out loud, read them silently to yourself. Just remember…. our words have power…. Saying – “Be Gone” audibly and loudly can be very freeing. Go ahead, howl at the moon if your spirit calls to do so. Be Safe. Put out the fire.
Recharging crystals;For moon-type energy (mystical, magical, inward fulfillment), put your crystal outside (either in water or not) under the light of a full moon for several hours. You may also set the crystal out in a waxing moon (moving toward full moon) for increase and new beginnings, and in a waning moon (after the full moon) for decrease, of debt or illness etc
Moon Water: Place drinking water in a clear jug or bowl (made out of glass or crystal, clear and with no designs on it). Cover it with cheesecloth or a clean cotton towel so bugs or leaves do not get into it. Leave over night and in early morning bring indoors and drink a glass before breakfast until the pitcher of water is gone. Preferably for 9 days. Why 9 days? The Mayans, Aztecs and Incas believed in the 9 spirits of healing, the 9 healing dimensions and the 9 cycles of grieving. It can help to recharge your body’s depleted energy & connect to your femininity and helps with purging, releasing and letting go of toxins in our body.
Vision board; Nobody said Full Moon manifesting had to be complicated! Enjoy the process of deciding upon and declaring your desires to the universe through a vision board. Get your scissors & Pritt stick out, look through old magazines or pictures. The Full Moon energy will be with you throughout the night. Envision your dreams manifesting. The full moon is a perfect time to do your manifestation techniques. Spend time imagining your goals and writing them down on paper. It’s also a great time to make a vision board. Spending time focusing on your dreams during the full moon gives it extra oomph!
Write your desires; Take a sheet of paper, write “I MANIFEST…” or “I COMMAND AND CREATE…” at the top (use whatever feels most powerful to you).Then, write down all that you desire, in the present tense, until you have no more to write. Once complete, some people like to place their handwritten desires overnight underneath the light of the full moon, others put the paper under their pillow, others still place them on altars and in spots that are powerful and meaningful to them. Also see below to use a candle.
Perform a Candle Magic Ritual; Carve words or symbols that correlate with your desire (this can be done into a beeswax candle quite easily) – or simply write your desire – onto a candle Hold the candle with both hands and spend time visualizing yourself having and enjoying this desire nowVisualize this desire going into the candle. You can also place the written desire under the candle as it burns. Light the candle and allow it to burn down completely, knowing that as it burns it is transmitting your desire out into the universeEnjoy the ride as this new desire manifests into your life!Finish with a prayer and a dash of gratitude
After performing any of these rituals (or another of your choice), finish the process with a prayer or request to the full moon. You can speak any words that have meaning to you. Manifesting with the Full Moon needn’t take long, & it is effective. A perfect opportunity to check in with yourself & your world.